THIS CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED. THANK YOU FOR ENTERING. IF YOU WIN, WE WILL CONTACT YOU BY EMAIL ON JULY 28th.
UPDATE 5, JULY 28th, 12:40 AM. Breaking news. A last minute matching donation from an anonymous source has turned our 8 winners into 16. Forgive me while I have a moment. Also, forgive me as I take a little longer than anticipated to let you know the winners. We have to pick 8 more winners, and I’ve got to line up 8 more bonus coaches. I will still try to email the winners by tomorrow night, but stay tuned here for details. I will let you know when the emails are all complete.
UPDATE 4, JULY 27th, 11PM This contest will close at midnight tonight. We’ve got around 50 entries, and this is going to be HARD. We will contact you via email tomorrow if you won. I will require a response email from you before I send you the receipt you’ll need for the two extra entries (this is just to make sure that I’m sending it to the right place. I want you to get it, not somebody one character off of your email address.) In the email, I will introduce you to your coach. They will contact you soon after.
For those who entered and aren’t selected, thank you so much for your entries. Know that this was a really, really hard decision, and that there were many, many deserving people. I wish I could have picked you all.
UPDATE 3, JULY 25th: If you entered before yesterday, you should have received your confirmation email. There have been a couple new entries where I haven’t emailed yet, but will soon. The confirmation is just to let you know that you’re in. We’ll contact you on the 28th if you win.
Oh…maybe I should mention this…thanks to another generous donation, there’s now going to be a 7th winner.
But wait, there’s more…now with new bonus coaches! (Sorry, I always wanted to be in advertising. Or a game show announcer.) As we added the additional winners, it became clear that there was going to be time pressure on Colleen to get them all done. We know you’re excited to enter, and you’re going to want to go fast. And as brilliant as she is, she’s only one person and usually has to obey the laws of the space time continuum. So when we got the seventh entry, I reached out to two other great authors, asking if one of them could come in as a guest coach. They both immediately said yes. So we brought them both onto the team. Now Colleen will do the original 5, and each of the new coaches will take on one winner. (Note: The coaches will be assigned to the 7 winners randomly. All the prizes are equal — it’s not first prize vs 7th prize)
Stay tuned for more information on the two new coaches, coming later today.
UPDATE 2, JULY 24th: First off, if this is your first time visiting the post and you haven’t signed up yet, scroll down. If you’ve been here already, pleased read this update for a couple of important announcements.
First, the exciting news: Thanks to an anonymous donor, we’re now adding a sixth prize package. That’s right. Instead of five winners there will be six donations, which means six people will get the extra entries. For the sixth person, Colleen can’t guarantee that she’ll get your coaching session in before the 3rd (though she’ll try) but she will definitely get it done with you before the entry window closes on the 5th.
Second, after much thought, Colleen and I have decided that we’re not going to announce the names of the winners publicly. In the end, this is a contest about helping people out, and that’s all we want to do. If the winners themselves choose to publicly announce that they got the entries, they can. If they don’t want to, that’s fine, too. If you win, it’s your choice.
I am sending out confirmation emails. If you don’t get an email by the end of the day on the 25th, then we don’t have your submission, and you should resubmit.
UPDATE 1: We’ve received about 30 entries so far. The contest remains open for entrants until the 27th. We intend to announce the winners on the 28th.
Hi there! If you’re here, I’m going to assume you know what Pitch Wars is. If you don’t, and you’re a writer looking for an agent, you really want to know. Go ahead, check it out at #pitchwars. I’ll wait.
If you’ve been following along closely, you know that all entrants into Pitch Wars get to select 4 mentors, then send their query and first chapter to them, and each mentor picks one entry. You may also know that if you donate $20 here you can get two bonus entries. That means instead of 4, you can send it to 6 mentors. Of course it only takes one mentor to pick you. But with six sets of eyes on your work instead of four, your odds obviously go up a little. And if you’ve been through the mentor blogs and done some research, it might be hard to narrow it down to 4. So those two extra slots might be useful.
Today I’m offering 5 winners a free ride. This isn’t something that Pitch Wars is giving away. This is just something I wanted to do (although I did clear it with the Pitch Wars leadership, to make sure it was okay.) If you are one of the 5 winners, I will donate $20 to Pitch Wars in your name, making you eligible for the two extra entries.
This in no way prevents you from donating yourself. Anyone can donate via the link above, and secure their two extra entries. See Brenda Drake’s website for details.
Since we are writers, and Pitch Wars is about writing, we’re going to write for it. To enter, you will need to tell me in 200 words or less why you need this. See full instructions below.
But wait! There’s more! We don’t want to send you off into Pitch Wars with your extra entries, unarmed. Since I’m a mentor, it might be a conflict of interest for me to help prepare you. So instead, I’ve partnered with the person who helps prepare me. Enter my Critique Partner, friend, published author, Literature PhD, and all around rock star Colleen Halverson. You can check out her website here or buy her book here. She’s not a mentor, but in this case that’s good. She can give you an unbiased take on your submission and the contest. Okay, maybe slightly biased, because…you know…she knows me (and some of the other mentors, too). But mostly unbiased.
Each winner will receive a thirty minute (give or take a few minutes) coaching session with Colleen to help them get ready. You can use it for whatever you want. You can go over your query, your first pages, talk Pitch Wars, talk about publishing, discuss writing craft, or whatever else you need. It can be Gchat, Email, Skype, video, or whatever else you work out. Trust me, this is worth more than the $20 entry.
We are big supporters of diversity in writing, and we strongly encourage writers from backgrounds traditionally underrepresented in publishing to enter.
How to enter:
To enter, use the google form at the bottom of this post and tell us in 200 words or less, why you should get the entry. That’s it. You can use the 200 words any way you want, but the focus should be on you and why this is important to you, and why you need it. If for some reason the form doesn’t work, you can enter using the contact form on this website, or emailing michaelmammayauthor (at) gmail (dot) com with a subject line of Contest Entry. Your email address and/or twitter handle do not count as part of your 200 words, but you should include them in the submission. As a condition of entry, I ask that you consider following this website and Colleen’s website, but to be honest, I’m not actually going to check. Honor system.
- I make the rules. There is no process for challenging the rules. If you don’t like them, you don’t have to participate. If a rule comes into question, I will make sole determination, in consultation with Colleen.
- The contest is open now. It will remain open through the 27th of July, unless I close it sooner. If I get a large response (about 100) I may choose to close early, simply because I have to read all the entries and I only have so much time. I will announce that both on this website and on twitter via @michaelmammay
- Anyone planning to enter Pitch Wars may enter. There are no restrictions on genre.
- I reserve the right to disqualify anyone from the contest for any reason.
- Prizes are not transferrable. If you are planning to enter but later decide to back out for whatever reason, your extra entries are forfeit (though the donation will still go to Pitch Wars)
- There is no cash value. The prize is a donation of $20 to Pitch Wars.
- If you already have donated $20 and secured your two entries, but you want a chance to win the coaching session with Colleen, state that in your 200 word entry and we’ll consider it.
- If we don’t get 5 viable entries, we reserve the right to not award some or all of the prizes. (I strongly expect this will not be the case.)
- Coaching sessions with Colleen are subject to her availability. She will do her best to work with you for a mutually acceptable time on a mutually acceptable platform.
- If there are more than 5 that are awesome and I can’t decide, I reserve the right to add additional prizes without notice.
- If you intend to submit to Dan and I for Pitch Wars, please do *not* include that in your 200 words. That’s not what this is about.
- Your entry will remain private. We will not post it, or use it in any way, nor will we discuss it with anybody without your permission.
- Winning this contest does not mean you will be picked by a Pitch Wars mentor when you enter. They are completely independent of one another.
- Entering this contest will not affect in any way Dan Koboldt’s and my choice for Pitch Wars. Entering this contest does not disqualify you from submitting to us as mentors, nor does it give you an advantage. Odds are very good I won’t even remember.
- I’ve received permission from Pitch Wars to run this promotion, but other than that the two are completely independent. Anything to do with this contest is my purview, and should not reflect in any way on Pitch Wars, Brenda Drake, or anyone else associated with the contest.
- I’d ask that you do not link people to the form directly. Please feel free to link to this page, though.
Enter using this form Here